Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Eulogy for My Brother

My big brother, Tom, died today.  My heart aches for his laugh, for his "Hi, Rosie", and for his quiet presence.  He has deserved this peaceful rest and I have prayed for his release from his physical torment.  I thank God for His grace is taking Tom to his eternal rest but I grieve for my loss.  Not just my loss.  So many people were touched by his life and they will mourn the loss of a good friend.  He only had about 100,000 close friends.  Tom never met a person he did not immediately know for the rest of his life. He was a good listener and remembered everyone by  name and knew something about them.  He was a people person and loved doing things to make others happy.  He provided a higher education for so many young people that I could not even begin to count them.  He took care of those he loved and closely guarded their dignity and cares.  He was a man fiercely loyal, to a fault.  He loved his race horses and took care of them long after they left the racetrack.  He was a family man that absolutely knew what was best for you.  To convince him differently meant you needed to be very sure of all points of the argument and be prepared to defend yourself.  But once convinced, he was proud as punch and told everyone how great you were.  He loved his church and was a good a faithful steward.  God will welcome him and say 'well done'.  He loved to dance and especially he loved jazz.  He was a brilliant business man and had the respect of those who did business with him during his lifetime.  He loved to dress well.  When he was about 14 he went to work in a mens clothing store and thus began his lifelong quest to be well dressed.  He always looked dapper.  He was a beloved son, a loving father, a devoted husband, a stalwart uncle, an adored and adoring brother.  He was so much to so many.  I do not know how to say how special he was, but I will miss him.  He took care of my all my life, watching out for his little sister in every way.  He deserved the very best.  I am sure he haad faults, but it will be hard for me to find one.  I just know I will miss him and his charming smile.