Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cool Air

Cool Air, what a blessing. I do so take it for granted and when it is gone, I am a mess. Reading past blogs about the hot summers when I grew up helped me know that I am spoiled and should be more grateful for the blessings I have. When the a.c. went out Sat, I knew I could work all day in the cool at the shop and the night wouldn't be too bad. But I dreaded it. After a light supper, I hopped into the cold shower and cooled off, then did what my Gran used to do. I put on my pj's (wished I still wore a gown because it is cooler) without drying off and laid down on my nice clean sheets under a fan with all the lights off. (I had a ceiling fan which helped a lot and she only had a small floor fan that did not run all night. )
Well, long story short, if you don't move around much and start off cool, it isn't too bad. But I would have been up the creek if I hadn't had my ceiling fan.
Needless to say, I was glad when they arrived tuesday and repaired it. Now it is cool and things are back to normal.
Ghost has a favorite spot where the air from a ceiling vent flows gently down on him and when it gets too hot for him, he lays down in the dining room under that vent. Poor dog. Hot as he was, he kept going to that spot and laying down. He did begin to look perplexed when after an hour or so he was still suffering the heat. By tuesday morning he was convinced that my bed was the coolest spot in the house. Now he is again confused by the fact that when he walks by his old favorite spot it appears to be cool. I guess he'll get it in a day or two.
Anyway, that week was the coolest week of the summer, so I guess I was lucky.