Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Lost Souls In The Etherworld

I wonder how many souls are lost out there in the world we cannot see.  I am not talking about the spiritual souls, I am talking about the technology souls.  When I was told by my internet (email, web host) server that I had been lost and could not be found.  Maybe it is more like the lost boys on the island.  Whatever, I was suddenly told that my connection had been lost and could not be restored.  It seemed simple to me...just sign me up as a new subscriber and give me a new set of numbers, wires or whathaveyou.  Sorry..that can't happen, they said.  So me and the County Courthouse are just lost in space and we can't be helped.  
Well, after a week of patiently trying to find a way for them to make it right for me, I was told that I needed to move on.  Hey!!!I think I was fired as a customer and I was being nice!
So I moved on to the Cable guy.  He jumped right in and in a few hours, I am back on the air.  But my email is hanging around out there and they will kindly hold it open for me for awhile...oh, yes..you won't be able to reply to any of them unless you write down the address (if you can read it and do you know how many people don't let you see their address?) and go to your new email and send it out.  Ok, lots of hassle, but can be done.  
What?  Your website that we host?  Oh, it will be here for awhile.  No, we can't give you the information to get into it and change the email address that it tells people you have....and you don't have.  What do you want us to do?  Figure it out... I think that means I have to build a brand new site and get it online.  I don't know how to do that and the old one has a program in it that I need and I can't get to it.  
Oh, well...maybe my lawyer will find a way to get it.  
Lost internet sould have trouble doing business.  It appears that they had a very old piece of equipment that crashed and they don't want to replace it so it was easier and cheaper to just cut some of us loose.  I still don't know why they can't move me to another server.  But good old cablevision will take care of me.  I shall survive!