Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Carousels

Thanks, Amy...I found it. Sorry, it isn't as good as I remembered.

I have always loved merry go rounds, or carousels if you want to use the proper term.
I have a couple of carousel horses in my embroidery designs and never used them. They are pretty big files and who wants a big old carousel horse? Well, a few weeks ago a guy who works carnivals came into the shop and wanted to know if I had any war horses. Not having a clue what he meant, I hedged until I figured out that carousel horses are often called that. He wanted a big one on a set of towels to give a friend who owns a carnival.
They are really pretty but also big and involved and expensive. I showed them to him and he ordered one set of towels and then wanted a smaller version on the front pocket of his pants. Hey...don't ask me!!
He was delighted with it all and paid cash and then brought more towels and pants and some jeans for his granddaughter. I found another horse so we had a variety and now have a nice array. Almost enough for a full carousel. I think I will do a window like a carousel. I have digitized the canopy and the brass ring, so I am almost there.
I did not know that horses must face left on a merry go round. Now I know that and the reason is because people are mostly right handed and when they tried to reach for the brass ring, they could use their right hand. There are other secrets about the horses which I will perhaps be allowed to learn at a later date. I still have a couple of towels and a pair of pants to do when he returns to town.
Who kne? Anyway they are quite pretty and interesting to sew.