Friday, April 10, 2009

Easter's On The Way

Today is Good Friday, so Easter is only two days away. Easter is my favorite day of the year and Good Friday is my worst. We had a very nice Maundy Thursday service last night and stripping the church for today and laying the black cloth on the communion table and the baptismal font was moving. It just sort of brings an end so we can have a good beginning on Sunday.
I was most impressed with the iron wood cross Tim made for his church. It is big, probably 8' tall at least and it just overpowers the front of the church and makes you know how important it is. When he has it draped in black as it is today, it can't help but make you realize how important today is. It will be lovely when it has lilies around it on Sunday and I look forward to the lilies for our church with all the banners, paraments, candles and cross back in place.
I did not grow up with Maundy Thurs and stripping the church and draping the cross. Good old no nonesense Presbyterians have given way to Presbyterians who understand the importance of some drama in presenting the word. I do remember Dad going to Maundy Thursday at the temple for the Masonic Scottish Rite service and I think that is where he collected those red shot glasses that I always loved. I suppose they were not shot glasses, but that is what they look like.
I always wondered why the church did not do something special on that day and now we do. So I am always happy to take part in it and last night I draped the font and it was rather meaningful.
Hope you all have a good run up to Easter. Enjoy the day and the reason for the day.