Monday, May 11, 2009

MOMS

I know it is no longer Mother's Day, but I need to say a word about Moms.
Mine was great. I always knew she loved me and took care of me and taught me my faith. She was a big part of my life and I didn't know how big a part she was until she was gone. She died in 1974 and that is a long time ago. But I think of her a lot and miss her guidance. Some would say she was bossy and intimidating. She was, but she had the role of making sure things got done and we got raised. That was her way of doing it and it was the way most Moms of that generation did it. As I get older and hopefully much wiser, I have come to realize that each generation had their own way of being Mom. My grandmother, who I adored, was widowed at a young age. She took care of family needs when the children were growing up and when she became a widow, her children stripped her of her home and belongings and took care of her. She had no decision making in that process. That was pretty much the way it was. She travelled to different kids homes, depending on the need for her help. Or sometimes, just because it was time to move on. My Mother didn't have much decision making either, but it had moved up a step and she helped provide the living. She had complete domain over the family, though..which Gran lacked.
I had lots of decision making within boundaries. Our generation took care of home and family, worked, did the civic stuff and church stuff and made many decisions. Just not things like money and job and stuff like that.
My children's generation did all of that, but had more responsibility with the total picture and Dads helped with the children quite a lot. There is more cross involvement in their lives. My daughter is a better Mom than I was because she is able to talk to her kids about stuff that I only hinted at but did not have real serious conversations about.
This present generation has turned it on its head. You can hardly tell a mom from a dad. That is not a bad thing. Probably brings more appreciation for each other and a better relationship with the kids. They can go to either parent for anything. Before, there was a clear cut division of responsibility. Maybe we are getting it right.
But....Moms are Moms and Dads are Dads. They each deserve their day. I would hate to think that it might evolve into Parents Day because there was no difference.
Anyway, long live Moms. Being a Mom is the greatest thing in the world and the good thing is this. Many women are Moms to people without being a biological mom. I think that is the real purpose of the day.