Friday, May 8, 2009

Trains

Joey goes back to NYC tomorrow and needed to get to DFW to catch her plane tomorrow. She has friends to stay with tonight and when her ride to Dallas fell through, we began to weigh our options. Since I don't feel competent to drive in heavy traffic now, I didn't need to take her. Doug was working today and tonight so he was out. We settled on my driving her to Ardmore to catch the Heartland Flyer to Ft Worth where her friend picked her up. Turned out to be a good thing. It only cost $20 and she said it was clean and very comfortable with reclining seats and footrests and it was not crowded. We worried as we were waiting on the train...kids kept appearing from around the corner and she said, "I hope all these kids aren't getting on the train" which evoked a response from a woman..."yes, they are. We are taking them to Gainesville". Wow... But when the train pulled in, about 100 kids got off wearing lime green shirts and they were from Lindsey and had taken a train ride to Ardmore and the school bus was there to pick them up. So I guess the 2nd graders from Ardmore were going to be ferried back by bus. Anyway, they had a car just for them, so Joey didn't see them again and she had a peaceful and pleasant trip. ]
I remember travelling by train with Gran. During the war we used to go to Ponca City by train and to McAlester by train to see family. She always made me dress up and I had to wear gloves and a hat and carry a purse. That is how ladies travel she would say. I am just glad I wasn't old enough to wear hose because she would have insisted on that and I hated wearing hose and still do to this day. (I never spell that right..I am talking about the hose things you wear on your legs...not what you water the yard with!)
I have always loved train travel. So sad we let it bet away from us.