Friday, October 24, 2008

Crepe Myrtles

Crepe Myrtles are pretty shrubs, that can grow up to be unruly treelike things. They bloom in late summer and always look pretty. I always wanted one, but could never decide between the purple, cerise, pink or white. Now there are other colors and it is even more confusing.
A lady in our town, decided that we needed to be the crepe myrtle capital of the world. I don't know why. As I drive around other towns, I realize that they have lots and lots of crepe myrtles and as I look around my town, I realize that we don't have very many. Since the city council made a proclamation that we will now be known as the crepe myrtle capital, there have been a few people plant them in their yards. The city has planted some on the highway.
Now, when I go to towns that have more than we have, I feel like it is my civic duty to take my little hatchet and cut them down. Or maybe it is my duty to plant some trees. Even if I don't have room for them?
Is that how we define ourselves? Deciding something sounds good and then trying to fit into the parameters? Or tearing down what gets in the way of our definition? Or maybe saying it was not a good idea to begin with and look within for a right definition?
I am not going to tell anyone that our town is the crepe myrtle capital of the world. I may plant one, if I ever decide which color I want, but I will not plant it to raise the numbers. If I do it, I will do it because I have always wanted a crepe myrtle.
And please, don't call me a maverick.