Friday, October 17, 2008

Well Worn

My precious grandaughters love quilts. I used to love quilts, well, still do for that matter. In fact, I am sad that I no longer have a quilt made by my grandmother. But the girls use their quilts and I am glad. Quilts were utilitarian when they were first designed. Now, they are objects of beauty and meant to be hung or otherwise displayed. The quilts I make are meant to be used and loved. The girls love theirs to death and repair often have to be made. The good part of being the maker of them is that I can usually repair them. They may look a bit different but they work. It reminds me that sometimes we get broken and the Maker repairs us, perhaps a bit different, but workable. Maybe even better.
Since the girls love quilts, perhaps I had better get started making new ones. With modern washers and dryers they don't last as long as they used to last. Also, people are inclined to wash them more often than in the days when they had to be hung on the line to dry.
Maybe I need to find out their color preferences. They do change from age to age!