Thursday, January 8, 2009

Never Too Old

I am enjoying reading John Calvin's 'Institutes". I would never have tried reading the two volume edition from 1559 if Princeton had not been generious enough to make a web site so that it may be read in a year. A small daily dose is not too much, but enough to stretch my mind. And then they kindly provide a reader, so you don't even have to read unless you want. And the professors who write the weekly synopsis are brilliant in their ability to make it even more understandable.
What a treat, to be able to go back to the beginning of Protestantism and see how the theology was developed. Anyway, I am enjoying it and am glad that I still have enough sense to follow it. People give up on themselves too early in life and I will continue to try to learn new stuff every day. For now, Calvin will keep me going for the year. Gran Mitchell always said you had to keep learning and she certainly did that. She was a great believer in education. She was a smart and learned lady.