Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Angels

Our Calvin discussion group tonight will focus on angels. That is the part of Calvin we are reading just now. I have never thought a lot about angels because I have never had a warm fuzzy thing about them. I have always understood that they were created by God to do his work and that they have jobs to do, just as we have our jobs. But their executive is on a higher pay grade than our earthly ones.
The notion that people are transformed into angels when they die always seemed strange to me. I think we are taken into a place we do not understand and I do not need to understand it. It will be revealed to me at a later time. Hopefully, much later.
I have never felt the presence of a guardian angel hovering around to do my bidding or get me out of scrapes.
As Calvin so aptly shows us, angels have jobs to do. They are messengers and protectors. But I don't think one is MY special protector...I think that if I have need of a protector and I happen to be in a situation that is important to God's work, perhaps I will be saved for the greater good of the kingdom. To think I am the special beneficiary makes it all about me and I am pretty sure that the world is not all about me. I am all for angels being there for me whenever it serves the Kingdom, but at some point in time, my life cycle will come to a close and God does not let anyone escape that. Perhaps escape is the wrong word. Perhaps 'miss out' would be better, because as Christians we do not fear death, but look forward to a new and better place with God.
I am patient and am willing to wait quite awhile for that to happen, just in case He is listening.