Sunday, September 28, 2008

old friends

They say old friends are the best, but that is not really true. They are just old. We went to Bill's 60th class reunion and it was just a gathering of old people trying not to look old. Out of 126 graduates there were 76 left and of the ones that came, I didn't see any oxygen tanks, walkers, or even canes. I guess they just stayed home. We ran into traffic so were a bit late arriving and everyone was seated at tables. He hardly remembered the three at our table (the rest were spouses or guests) so we looked around for Tom and Lois Ann and a couple more. Found them later during the program. They didn't have much in common because I was determined not to discuss ailments. After a really bad 3 hour program and a great lunch, we had about 15 min to visit. What I know is this. People who loved to hear themselves talk, still love that. Everyone else just wanted to go home. And so it was. Maybe in another 5 years we will go again and it will begin to be a survival game!!
I don't think I will go to my next one. Friends from your middle years are best. So enjoy them and keep them handy.