Thursday, September 18, 2008

Why I mark up my books.

I was reading the new Presby Outlook today and there was an article on the saving of thousands of trees during GA this summer when everything was sent out electronically. Now, for me, reading on line is difficult. Not just general reading, but serious study and needing to go from one article to another. They stated that educators readily admit that learning is enhanced when a reader underlines, marks, writes in the margin and dog ears pages. I AM VINDICATED!!!!
Thank you, America...I love reading electronically, but not studying. I don't know how the younger generation does that. I am sure they do a lot of skimming and often miss the nuances an author inserts in his work.If I can't dog ear, or write in the margins, or circle, I have trouble going back and finding that certain piece of information that I really wanted to remember. But the biggest reason? I love picking up a book that my mother or grandmother read and finding that little nugget of information hiding in the margin. Gives me a great insight to their thoughts. Brings them close to me for a moment and stirs memories that make me smile. And that is enough of a reason. When you inherit my books, you must look between the covers and see what I really thought and if I left you a special message for the ages.