Saturday, November 22, 2008

Charles Dickens

I don't know if it is my age or if it is true, but Dickens seems to be ageless. His writings seem as impressive and as pertinent today as they were in his day. People used to flock to read his latest chapter in the newspaper, like people flock to see the latest soap opera episode. Both of which seem to be a telling commentary on the day. Seems to me that his spoke to the social ills of the world while soap operas speak more to the moral ills. (Truthfully, I have not seen one in probably 20 years, but I bet I would recognize the characters and the situations.)
What brought this on? You may well ask. Last night I went to see the Duncan Little Theatre's performance of A Christmas Carol. It was very well done and all 30 of the cast did a good job. Clearly they had a good time as did the audience. But I never tire of the renditions of old Chuck's work. He understood people, the era, the problems, the humor, the fears, the hopes, the dreams, the realities, the faith....he just had a wonderful insight into the world. There are not many authors today who can do that job as well. My hat's off to you, Mr. Dickens. Thank you for a warm and pleasant evening and for always stirring our conscience. God Bless Us Everyone!!!