Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A New Day

Well, it is over. At long last, the hard fought campaign is over and we have a new president. I am so proud of the American public for getting out in record numbers. Both men were admirable, but I think it must be that time in our American lives when we need to turn a corner and begin to look at ourselves again in a new light. Hopefully, this will take us in a new direction that leads us back to civility and decency. We can pray for that. It is sorely needed. Hopefully, we will give him a chance, he will need our patience, our help and our prayers. I know we are in such trouble that it will take all the strength and patience we have. I know we need to learn new ways of doing things. Perhaps we will be able to turn our collective lives along a path to decency and good will.
In history, there are times when the world takes a turn. Hopefully this will be a right turn that will restore our pride in ourselves and our obligation to the world. It is not always the preson who does that, but the time in history. I think we are at that time in history.
I never thought about this as a racial campaign. But as I watched last night, and saw the tears from so many black people, I realized what a unique and inspiring event had just taken place. When I was but a child I remember our beloved Sarah, (who would come to our house to clean and iron, )would take me on the bus to town to meet my parents at the shop we owned. We would get on the bus and she would go sit on the back bench while I had to sit in a seat in front. I always wanted to sit on that back bench, but she wouldn't let me. I remember going to the train station and getting a drink of water and my grandmother reminding me to use the white only fountain. I never understood why. I never could figure out why there were four restrooms in every public building. Two of them were not always in view, but they were there. Sarah would wait outside the store for me if I had to go to town to get something for Mother. Those days have been gone so long, that I believe I honestly thought racial equality had come to America. But last night, I realized it had not come. Not until last night, when a black mother could honestly tell her child that it could be anything it wanted to be in America. At least one door was always closed to them... they were always told, 'pick something else, you can't be president'. However you feel about the election, last night was a very defining moment in our history. And YOU were there!!