Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Thanksgiving

It is creeping up on us. Of all the things I am thankful for is family. What would one do without them? A few minutes ago, I heard quiet sobbing on the other side of the shop. I went to look and found one of the employees in deep grief. She had just had a phone call from her husband saying his brother just died, before he could get there. We sent her off on her way to deal with that death. She has had so many these last two or three years. And being native american, she they have great extended families so their losses are multiplied. But how blessed are they to have so many. When one is in grief, many others are there to share with them and get them through it. That is how families are,and their groups are bigger than families, they are like clans, who take care of their own.
I had a discussion the other day with a man who said that though he understands and appreciates the family systems approach to working with churches, he believes we may be missing the boat. He thinks that churches work more on a clan system than family. He says there are many clans that make up the bigger tribe. I am coming to believe he may be on to something.
All the same, I am thankful for family, near and far, close or extended, whatever. Just nothing can take the place of a close family. Friends are great, but family is comfortable.
Get ready for the big turkey day. I am goind to buy a bird this week and I have all the other stuff in the pantry.Alas, there will be a very small family to share it with. I would invite someone, but the other two thirds of the group would not appreciate it.