Thursday, December 25, 2008

MERRY CHRISTMAS

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Christmas day. Enjoy the family you have with you and relax in the day.
When I was little, Christmas morning was exciting, with packages under the tree and the visit from Santa the night before. Christmas dinner was wonderful because Dad had smoked a turkey for a week before Christmas. My cousin Pat always thought it was ham because he didn't like turkey and Uncle Harry and Dad told him it was ham. Woe to any of us who said the word turkey. I bet he was 50 before he knew it was turkey. That and Uncle Harry's shrimp salad are the only two things I remember eating on Christmas day. I am sure we had pie and other things, but I don't remember them. I have never again eaten turkey as good as that. I can still smell it. Dad would soak it in a special brine he mixed up in the garage. Then for days they went in the smoker he built and it had to be tended every 3 or 4 hours, day and night. I remember the smell of the hickory as he wet it down. Those turkeys were the best ever and he smoked many of them each year. People all around town hoped to get on the list. He would only do so many, how ever many the smoker would hold. Family came first, then good friends and then maybe one or two other special people.
I bought a smoked turkey one year, and it wasn't like that. So now I have a turkey breast in the oven.
Merry Christmas....have a wonderful day.