Friday, December 5, 2008

White Christmas

I am listening to Bing Crosby sing White Christmas on the internet. On the sidewalk I have Christmas music from the 40's. Christmas, of course, is timeless..a blend of eras, cultures, races, and creeds among those Christians for whom Christmas is the biggest connection to each other.
We all love a white Christmas, unless we or loved ones are traveling. I remember one year we were on our way to Guthrie to spend Christmas with grandparents and Amy was about 6. All the way there she kept saying (aloud and to herself when her brother threatened to beat her up) "make it snow, make it snow." We chided her about it and I don't know if it was the form of a prayer or a plea to Santa or just a chant. Now, it was not in the forcast to have snow, but some people didn't understand that. By the time we arrived in Guthrie the snow flurries were coming down. By morning we had a beautiful snowscape that we all enjoyed. I always think of her when I hear Bing Crosby sing that song. Perhaps she has always had faith that I did not see. I do know that now she is certainly a faithful person. Perhaps not that God will make snow when she asks for it, but that God will provide what she needs when she needs it. And for everyone else if they leave it in His hands.